[RP-PPPoE] Question about using rp-pppoe without a username/password

Richard Fall rfall at witsend.com
Tue May 26 18:29:05 EDT 2009

Here's my setup:

	AT&T ADSL line, with a block of static IP addresses assigned

	PPPoE

	No username/password login required

Currently I use a DSL line card in a Linux system for internet access.

I want to configure a separate, replacement system to be able to take
the main system out of service for maintenance.

So, I got a small Linux box and a DLink DSL-2320B ADSL modem.  I plan
to run
the 2320B in bridged mode, and have the Linux box use rp-pppoe to
"dial up"
the ADSL connection.  (I prefer to run in this mode, rather than have
the
2320B handle PPPoe handshaking, as I can directly control and monitor
the
connection this way, and for other reasons.)

Here's the question:  how do I set up the rp-pppoe configuration file
to bring up the DSL connection without trying to supply a username/
password?
Is this even possible?

I did some testing, and could not find a configuration setup which both
kept rp-pppoe happy, and which brought up the DSL line.

As a further note, I have been able to run the 2320B in "smart" mode and
successfully bring up the line, so I know it's working.

Thanks, in advance.

- Rich

Richard Fall
rfall at witsend.com