[RP-PPPoE] LCP: Timeout sending Configuration Requests

Insane Laughing Clown mike-rppppoe at tiedyenetworks.com
Sat Dec 4 09:46:42 EST 2010

On 12/04/2010 02:38 AM, kesava Srinivas wrote:
> HI ALL,
> I have configured Roaring Penguin's Server&  Client on Fedora
> Machines. The issue is that When I am trying to trigger pppoe-connect
> on Client Machine ., I am getting the error "LCP: Timeout sending
> Config-requests". I tried with the option "lcp-max-configure=30".,
> but still it's not working. I dont have any other clue to move
> further. Please help me to resolve this issue.
>
> Also Does the PPPoE Server/Client both uses the Options file in
> /etc/ppp ?? OR Only this file is exclusively used by Client instead
> Server. I believe Server is having another file
> pppoe-server-options.rt? Please let me know

So 'LCP' is the initial portion of a ppp connection, and whats going on
is that your client is attempting to negotiate paramaters with the peer
(eg: a pppd process on the pppoe server machine). I would hazard to
guess that getting at least that far means that 'pppoe-server' at least
worked so there was a path between the server and client. So here's what
you do:

* Lets see the logs from the server, and can you verify that when your
client is connecting, there in fact is a pppd process running on the
server machine (check with ps auxw)

Im betting there is a problem with running pppd on your server machine
which is mucking up the works.

-ILC