[RP-PPPoE] Multilink PPPoE

Gordon Henderson gordon at drogon.net
Thu Nov 3 16:20:11 EDT 2011

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011, Insane Laughing Clown wrote:

> On 11/02/2011 03:57 AM, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>

>> The corruption happens both ways - if I try to connect out, the very
>> first SYN packet gets corrupted in the same way. The NAT table shouldn't
>> be getting in the way for incoming connections - it's just:
>
> Ok, I think we should start from the basics. You said the problem happens
> when you just connect ssh from the router, which does in fact bypass most of
> the iptables/conntrack and such. I don't have a sense of wether you are using
> kernel mode or user mode pppoe (let me know), but in addition I'd like to see
> you either boot into single user mode and run your pppoe connection setup
> from the cli, or if not possible, clear all iptables, unload all non-pppoe
> related modules, and then run the link setup and see if connecting results in
> the same problem.

I've tried both kernel and userland pppoe drivers.

However I can't really do much with the current router as it's serving the
companies functions with the working ADSL link, so I'm going to take in a
separate router with a similar configuration to connect up to the pair of
lines.

>From a 'basic' point of view, it works when I use a single line - and
in-fact they've been using one of those 2 lines all day today as they're
reaching montly quota on their existing line - it's only when I enable the
2nd line that these issues start to appear.

However by tomorow night and over the weekend I'll have a separate router
connected that will enable me to to more checks without it disrupting the
main office.

The scenario I'm after is that I have a multi-port router, 4 x GB and 4 x
10/100 with one of the 10/100 ports doing PPPoE to a Vigor 120 modem to an
ISP, and this will eventually be the backup connection and used for VoIP.
2 more 10/100 ports will go to 2 more Vigor 120 modems to another ISP
which is performing channel bonding for us - that's intended to be the
main link. I had the backup link in some weeks prior to the bonded "main"
link, so it's currently being used for their main link... I just need to
get the bonded link going...

Running a router like this for a single line is something I've done often
for my clients - that's easy - the bonded thing is new to me.

The configurations of the bonded lines are virtually identical to that of
the single link with the "multilink" parameter added - one line (or the
other) brought up works fine, it's only when I bring up the 2nd line that
the issues happen.

I'm on-site tomorow with the 2nd router and I'll run through everything
then when I get it going.

Gordon